Wan Ahmad Dahlan Abdul Aziz said there will be no disruption of public services. (Bernama pic)PETALING JAYA: Civil servants affected by the Putra Heights blaze on Tuesday have been granted permission to work from home, said public service director-general Wan Ahmad Dahlan Abdul Aziz.
He gave an assurance that this would not disrupt the continuity of public services.
“Department heads have the discretion to approve WFH requests as appropriate,” Bernama quoted Wan Ahmad Dahlan as saying.
This is in line with the WFH policy outlined in a human resources service circular which allows such measures during events like natural disasters, environmental pollution, or health crises.
The fire that broke out on Tuesday morning engulfed a 500m section of a gas pipeline, injuring 111 people, many with burns and respiratory issues.
It destroyed 225 vehicles and damaged another 174. It also left a 10m-deep crater measuring 21m by 24m and damaged homes and properties within a 500m radius.
Hundreds of residents lost their homes and are currently staying at temporary relief centres. - FMT
Ketua Polis Perlis Muhammad Abdul Halim, berkata kes disiasat bawah Seksyen 307 Kanun Keseksaan kerana cubaan membunuh serta Seksyen 39 Akta Senjata 1960. (Gambar fail)PETALING JAYA: Dua penjawat awam terselamat daripada tembakan di persimpangan lampu isyarat berhampiran Medan Selera Kuala Perlis, dekat Kangar.
Ketua Polis Perlis Muhammad Abdul Halim, berkata kejadian berlaku kira-kira 4.30 petang semalam, ketika lelaki berusia awal 40-an berasal dari Perlis dan bertugas di Johor itu sedang memandu kereta jenis Perodua Alza putih untuk menghantar anak saudaranya berumur awal 30-an ke Jeti Kuala Perlis untuk pulang ke Langkawi.
“Ketika berhenti di lampu isyarat, lelaki berumur 40-an yang sedang memandu ini terdengar bunyi letupan kuat dan mendapati terdapat kesan tembakan pada pintu kanan bahagian pemandu.
“Cermin tingkap kanan sebelah pemandu kereta juga mengalami keretakan akibat kejadian itu,” katanya menurut Bernama pada sidang media di IPK Perlis.
Muhammad berkata, bagaimanapun kedua-dua lelaki itu tidak mengalami sebarang kecederaan.
Beliau berkata, hasil pemeriksaan pasukan forensik menemukan sebutir anak peluru di bahagian alas kaki tempat duduk pemandu selain kesan tembakan pada pintu kanan kenderaan itu.
Muhammad berkata, siasatan awal mendapati tembakan dipercayai dilepaskan dari jarak antara tiga hingga empat meter menggunakan pistol jenis Revolver 38 Smith & Wesson dengan peluru berukuran 38mm daripada sebuah kereta jenis Proton Wira.
“Setakat ini, motif kejadian masih dalam siasatan dan usaha mengesan suspek sedang giat dijalankan, kes disiasat mengikut Seksyen 307 Kanun Keseksaan kerana cubaan membunuh serta Seksyen 39 Akta Senjata 1960 (Akta 206),” katanya. - FMT
MCMC said it recorded a statement by the customer service officer today. (MCMC pic)PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission today recorded the statement of a customer service officer believed to have posted a “grossly offensive” remark on social media.
In a statement, the country’s internet regulator said the post on X was also racially tinged.
It did not provide further details, except to say a phone and a SIM card belonging to the individual were seized.
MCMC reminded the public not to post and share content that touches on race, religion or the royal institution in social media and messaging platforms.
On April 1, the national unity ministry lodged a report with MCMC over an alleged racist and provocative statement on X.
The complaint was reportedly related to two posts by an X user, dated March 5 and 26, against the Indian community that went viral but were later deleted.
However, it is not immediately known if the latest MCMC action was related to the complaint.
Following amendments to the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, certain acts previously classified as offensive are now specifically defined as “grossly offensive”. - FMT
The Center for Market Education’s CEO, Carmelo Ferlito, said trade barriers cannot be calculated as the ratio between trade deficit and import.PETALING JAYA: The head of a think tank has disputed the data presented by the US administration to justify its reciprocal tariff it imposed on several countries, including Malaysia.
The Center for Market Education’s CEO, Carmelo Ferlito, said while the numbers presented looked incredibly high to warrant the US government’s protective policies, a closer look at the figures revealed that they were in fact a result of the ratio between US trade deficit and US import with each country.
“It goes without saying (that) trade barriers cannot be calculated as the ratio between trade deficit and import.
“It is clear that the trade war begins in the worst possible way, with made-up data,” he said in a statement.
Ferlito said while trade deficit, import and export were influenced by trade barriers, they were not uniquely determined by them.
According to Donald Trump’s administration, the US had to deal with 47% trade barriers from Malaysia, 64% from Indonesia, 67% from China, 46% from Japan and 90% from Vietnam.
Malaysia was hit with a 24% reciprocal tariff by the US, effective April 9.
According to an executive order signed by Trump yesterday, Malaysia is one of 49 countries slapped with the reciprocal tariff.
The other countries include Cambodia (49%), Laos (48%), Vietnam (46%), Myanmar (45%), Thailand (37%), China (34%), Indonesia (32%), Brunei (24%) and the Philippines (18%).
The highest rate of 50% was imposed on Lesotho, and the lowest of 11% on the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Ferlito said the correct approach to trade barriers, tariff and non-tariff alike, was by referring to the Tholos Foundation’s International Trade Barrier Index, which he said provided a more accurate measure.
He also said countries which opposed Trump’s tariffs should actively promote and push harder for bilateral and multilateral free trade agreements, and not try to create even more hidden protection for domestic industries.
Ferlito said Malaysia should also capitalise on its privileged position as the Asean chair.
“Instead of retaliatory measures, Malaysia should leverage its Asean position to promote service trade liberalisation and push for a more aggressive trade policy with the European Union,” he said. - FMT
THE massive Putra Heights gas pipeline explosion has set tongues wagging.
Beyond ascertaining who is at fault over the towering atomic bomb-shaped blast, a more pertinent question would be who will cover the damages incurred by scores of Jalan Putra Harmoni residents whose homes and vehicles were devastated by the gigantic fireball that erupted on April 1.
According to Subang Jaya District police chief ACP Wan Azlan Wan Mamat, a total of 235 premises – including shops and residential units – were affected by the incident. Additionally, some 399 vehicles were either scorched by the fire or sustained ‘minting effect’ from heat climbed to 1,000º Celsius.
This was when Etiqa came to the fore with a statement inviting affected residents to make the relevant claims. It further simplified the process by waiving the need for a police report.
The company’s swift response to this incident caught the attention of marketing-influencer Richard Ker (@richardker) who was sufficiently impressed to admit he would contemplate signing up with the Maybank-backed insurer.
This is when he requested others to share their experience of being Etika customers on X.
On a positive note, many highlighted the efficiency of Etiqa’s vehicle breakdown assistance and towing services as examples of speedy response.
This was extended to claims of a total loss on a vehicle badly damaged in an accident with one customer stating his claim was sorted in a matter of weeks.
Some also had positive experiences with the company’s other products, namely its travel and flooding insurance schemes.
However, there were others who did not fare so well when making claims with Etiqa with one commenter stating he has waited for six months for a claim to be resolved.
Another proclaimed he stopped using Etika’s services after the company only responded to a request for vehicle assistance the next day.
One netizen asked if any other insurance providers had stepped up with regard to claims related to the gas explosion.
Another responded that Takaful had also issued a statement requesting customers to come forward with their claims.
In the internet age, speed is of the essence. Businesses must react to circumstances quickly or risk getting left behind.
It is commendable that Etiqa was first to issue a statement with the added bonus of waiving the need for a police report.
Perception is everything and the convenient process certainly paints a positive picture of the insurance provider. It also shows that the company has the gumption to face head on any negative publicity which is almost inevitable from disgruntled customers.
It remains to be seen if Etiqa walks the walk instead of just talking the talk.
In the meantime, FocusM wishes all those affected by the incident all the best in getting their lives back on track. – Focus Malaysia